Skip to main content

School Counseling (PPS)

School Counseling 

The School Counseling / Pupil Personnel Services (PPS) Credential option is a 60-unit program, comprised of 19 units of major core requirements and 41 units of School Counseling coursework. 

To earn the Pupil Personnel Services Credential master's degree, students must complete the core requirements above and the School Counseling specialization courses below.

While it is possible to complete all the courses required for the credential in a two-year period, such a program requires careful planning. The department intends to offer each PPS course at least once a year, but students need to plan the sequence with their advisor to ensure it matches the availability of courses. 

COUN 501 Counseling Theories & Professional Orientation4
COUN 510A Applied Counseling Techniques & Assessment 4
COUN 511F Career Counseling: Foundations, Measurement and Assessment, and Issues Throughout the Lifespan 3
COUN 513 Research, Evaluation, and Assessment in Counseling4
COUN 570 Multicultural Counseling 4


COUN 510B Counseling Practicum4
COUN 511G Academic/Career Planning and Counseling Issues of K-12 Populations1
COUN 515A School Counseling Field Experience I4
COUN 515B School Counseling Field Experience II4
COUN 520 Introduction to School Counseling 4
COUN 521 Pupil Personnel Services: Concepts and Organization 4
COUN 523 Working with Families in a School Setting 4
COUN 524 Counseling Children & Adolescents4
COUN 526 Group Counseling in the Schools4
COUN 527 Law & Ethics for School Counselors4
COUN 528A Consultation 3
COUN 528B Crisis Intervention 1


All master's candidates are required to complete a project representing a comprehensive and integrative understanding of the field of Counseling. Projects include case analysis and a comprehensive exit exam.

Candidates are required to complete a minimum of 800 clock hours in two of three school levels, such as elementary, middle or high school with a minimum of 200 clock hours within each level. Of the 800 clock hours, 200 may be completed in other areas related to schools and/or counseling, such as fieldwork hours needed for child welfare and attendance (CWA) authorization. At least 600 clock hours must be completed in public school settings with pre-K-12 pupils. If a candidate elects to complete 200 of the 800 hours in a setting outside of the pre-K-12 school system, they must have a site supervisor that has a master’s degree in counseling or a related field.