Application to the University
Complete the application via Cal State Apply.
Applications will only be accepted online through the Cal State Apply system. For any questions regarding the application, please contact Margie Dineen.
- Keep copies of all your supplemental materials for your records.
- Request letters of recommendation as soon as you can.
- Cal State Apply will allow you to upload unofficial transcripts for the department/university application. The Cal State Apply application covers the application for both the department and university. You will upload the unofficial transcripts one time when you go through the Cal State Apply online application process. Please do not mail anything to the department.
- University Admissions will want official transcripts: Contact the university Admissions Office if you have questions. (firstname.lastname@example.org). You can submit your official transcripts via mail or electronically. Sonoma State University accepts transcripts through Parchment or E-transcripts. Please refer to the university admissions website for further information.
- Completed applications are screened by faculty teams. We receive far more applications from qualified candidates than we can admit into our programs. The reading of the applications constitutes the first part of the selection process. After applications are reviewed, candidates receive letters advising them whether or not they have been selected for an interview. Interviews are usually scheduled in mid-February to the latter part of March. Please keep this time available.
- The department has found that the interview provides very important data and, consequently, is required for the selection process. Interview teams generally consist of two faculty members, or a faculty member and an alumnus of the program. International applicants and applicants living outside of the Western region of the United States may request a remote interview conducted via video chat.
- On the basis of all data gathered, the faculty admissions committee determines the ranking of all candidates. It should be stressed that throughout the application process, every attempt is made to quantify data and assign numerical values where appropriate.
- According to the rankings derived by the admissions committee, based on the number of available spaces, letters are sent via email to three groups of applicants:
- Those who are admitted to the program.
- Those who are offered a spot on our waiting list.
- Those who are not admitted.
If you are not admitted to the program, please consider reapplying the following year. Reapplication and/or completion of prerequisite coursework does not give an applicant priority for admission. The department selects the strongest candidates for admission from each year’s pool of new applicants.